The African Energy Week (“AEW”) recognises the importance of privacy and the protection of personal information provided to it and is dedicated to the safeguarding and preservation of such information. Accordingly, AEW will take appropriate and reasonable technical and organisational steps to prevent unauthorised access to, or disclosure of your personal information.
2. COLLECTION OF INFORMATION
AEW collects personal information through one of the following means:
- When a data subjects contacts AEW or requests information or services;
- AEW provides services to data subjects;
- When persons use AEW’s websites or engage with AEW through social media; and
- AEW may collect the information directly from a data subject or from third parties.
The interaction with AEW on the website will result in the collection of information regarding the person’s activities on the website. Similarly, when anyone engages with the AEW on any other social media platforms.
When engaging with clients/ customers on matters, AEW will naturally be exposed to and collect personal information which includes the data subject’s name, contact details, financial information as well as information regarding the matters that the firm assists them with.
3. BASIS AND PURPOSE FOR PROCESSING PERSONAL INFORMATION
AEW may process and use personal information:
- To deliver the services the data subject requires, in order to provide and maintain our service;
- For research purposes;
- To notify the data subject about changes to our service;
- To allow the data subject to participate in interactive features of our service;
- To provide customer support;
- To gather analysis or valuable information so that we can improve our service;
- To monitor the usage of our service; and
- To detect, prevent and address technical issues;
- To provide the data subject with news, special offers and general information about other goods, services and events which we offer that are similar to those the data subject have already used or enquired about unless the data subject have opted not to receive such information;
- Demographical and statistical information about user behaviour may be collected and used to analyse the popularity and effectiveness of this website. Any disclosure of this information will be in aggregate form and will not identify individual users;
- Marketing and promotion of AEW’s services;
- Providing and improving services to clients;
- Improving users’ experience when using AEW’s websites;
- Communicating with persons for AEW’s internal purposes;
- Enabling AEW’s internal operations; and
- Exercising and defending legal rights.
If the data subject subscribes for data, news, announcements, alerts or any such information to be emailed from the website. The data subject’s details shall be contained on our database until such time the data subject chose to unsubscribe from this service. Data subjects do have the right to opt-out at any time. Besides that, data subjects may opt out from receiving such communications by contacting AEW at the details provided below or by clicking on the opt-out (unsubscribe) link that will be contained in the relevant electronic communication.
4. DISCLOSURE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
Personal information will not be sold to third parties or provided to direct marketing companies or other such organizations without the data subject’s permission.
AEW may release personal information or disclose it to third parties in certain circumstances. These include, but are not limited to:
- If AEW is required or authorised to do so by law or a court order;
- In order for AEW to enforce its rights;
- In order for AEW to provide services to its clients.
- Third parties who provide research services to AEW or its clients; and
- Government authorities and registries, organs of state, regulators, courts, tribunals and law enforcement agencies.
Please note this list is non-exhaustive and there may be other examples where we need to share personal information with other parties to provide the Services as effectively as we can.
5. TRANSFER OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
Personal information collected by AEW may be transferred to persons in other countries. Those countries’ laws might not protect personal information in the same way or on the same level as the law in the data subject’s country.
Your data may be transferred to, and maintained on, computers located outside of your state, province, country or other governmental jurisdiction where the data protection laws may differ than those from your jurisdiction.
Please note that we may transfer data, to the locations of our third-party service providers’ servers and process it as required or necessary.
6. RETENTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
7. DIRECT MARKETING
AEW may send marketing and promotional communications and material to data subjects. Please note that we will only provide marketing related information to data subjects when we have a previous contractual relationship or a business relationship with the data subject and provided do not opt-out to receive those communications. Data subjects may opt out from receiving such communications by contacting AEW at the details provided below or by clicking on the opt-out link that will be contained in the relevant electronic communication.
8. SECURITY OF DATA
To protect the data subject’s personal information, AEW takes reasonable precautions and follows industry best practices to make sure it is not inappropriately lost, misused, accessed, disclosed, altered or destroyed.
9. THIRD PARTY SERVICES
In general, the third-party providers utilised by AEW will only collect, use and disclose the data subject’s information to the extent necessary to allow them to perform the services they provide to us.
Certain providers may be located in or have facilities that are located in a different jurisdiction than either the data subject or AEW. If the data subject elects to proceed with a transaction that involves the services of a third-party service provider, the data subject’s information may become subject to the laws of the jurisdiction(s) in which that service provider or its facilities are located.
10. LINKS TO OTHER SITES
AEW’s service may contain links to other sites that are not operated by AEW. AEW has no control over and assumes no responsibility nor any liability for the content, privacy policies or practices of any third-party website or services.
11. DATA SUBJECT RIGHTS
If a data subject wishes to exercise their rights, they can contact AEW at the details provided below. AEW may charge data subjects a fee for accessing, amending or deleting their personal information.
Data subjects are encouraged to contact AEW in order to update their personal information as and when necessary.
- RIGHT OF CONFIRMATION
To the extend granted by the legislator, each data subject shall have the right to obtain from AEW the confirmation as to whether or not personal data concerning him or her are being processed. If a data subject wishes to execute this right of confirmation, he or she may, at any time, contact AEW.
- RIGHT OF ACCESS AND INFORMATION
To the extend granted by the legislator, each data subject shall have the right to obtain from AEW free information about his or her personal data stored at any time and a copy of this information. Furthermore, as to the extent granted by the legislator, the data subject shall be given access to the following information:
- The purposes of the processing;
- The categories of personal data concerned;
- The recipients or categories of recipients to whom the personal data have been or will be disclosed, in particular recipients in third countries or international organisations;
- Where possible, the envisaged period for which the personal data will be stored, or, if not possible, the criteria used to determine that period;
- The existence of the right to request from AEW rectification or erasure of personal data, or restriction of processing of personal data concerning the data subject, or to object to such processing;
- The existence of the right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority;
- Where the personal data are not collected from the data subject, any available information as to their source.
Furthermore, data subjects shall have a right to obtain information as to whether personal data are transferred to a third country or to an international organisation. Where this is the case, the data subject shall have the right to be informed of the appropriate safeguards relating to the transfer.
If a data subject wishes to avail himself of this right of access, he or she may, at any time, contact AEW.
- RIGHT OF RECTIFICATION AND DELETION
Each data subject has the right to request that AEW corrects, destroys, or deletes any of the data subject’s personal information that AEW has processed in accordance with this Policy. The personal information that you may request us to correct, destroy or delete is personal information that is inaccurate, irrelevant, excessive, out of date, incomplete, misleading, obtained unlawfully or that we are no longer authorised to retain.
- RIGHT OF WITHDRAW CONSENT
As to the extent granted by the legislator, each data subject shall have the right to withdraw his or her consent to processing of his or her personal data at any time.
If the data subject wishes to exercise the right to withdraw the consent, he or she may, at any time, contact AEW.
12. APPLICABLE LAWS
13. CONTACT DETAILS
The Compliance Officer
The African Energy Week
Suite 43 Katherine & West
114 West Street
2196 Sandton, Gauteng
Telephone: +27 12 432 6000
E-mail: [email protected]
Last updated 06.07.2021